Friday, October 1, 2010

Baby Hulk and Coffee Chest Refurb, Part One

For years, our coffee table has been a cheap press board affair, recently mounted on caster wheels because every little scoot earned a loud, creaky complaint from one of the shaky legs.  I won't go through my list but, suffice to say, I was done with this thing.

My nine month old daughter obliged me a few mornings ago by somehow managing to flip it over and snap off a leg.  (Don't worry, she's fine.  Quite pleased with herself, as a matter of fact.)  After observing a minimum of disappointment solely for my husbands benefit (he actually liked the darn thing!), I headed out to my favorite thrift store, where I found this:


Its gonna take some work.  There's some water damage and it looks like its been not-so-lovingly stored for quite some time. And it smells like mothballs.  Blech.
The first thing I did (after leaving it in the sun to air out for, like, all day) was attack it with some sandpaper.  I discovered that although the hardware was rusted and beyond saving, the studs on the corners cleaned up very nicely.

Next task: stripping off that icky black canvas!



There, much better.

I'm keeping the edge strips because I like the idea of leaving a little momento of this trunk's former life and humble origins.  That, and those studs look like they'd be a pain to take apart.

Taking my inspiration from the great furniture rescues from the ladies of Mod Podge Rocks and infarrantly creative, I plan to decoupage this baby with whatever funky fabric or wallpaper that presents itself and speaks to me.  Hopefully that happens soon.  In the meantime, a coat or two of primer is in order.  Stay tuned for Part Two!

No comments:

Post a Comment