Sunday, July 5, 2009

Independence Dragon!

Because stabbing fruit is how the founding fathers intended to celebrate the birth of our nation.  Along with the blowing up of small parts of it.  Look it up.

IMG_0130

IMG_0127 IMG_0131

I’ve done the watermelon baskets before, but this year I had some sharp new knives and a surge of ambition.  The back area was my first attempt at the Asian style of vegetable carving (kae-sa-luk). 

My idea was for the flower petal pattern to resemble dragon scales.

What I got was structural integrity issues. 

(Glad I went with some long skewers instead of wimpy toothpicks.) 

I thought about inserting and lighting some sparklers for the ‘extreme’ factor, but his eyeballs got eaten before it got dark enough.  Oh well.

He still went well with the brats and bison burgers.  And in the end, isn’t that all any of us could ask for?

6 comments:

  1. He's amazing! I would have felt guilty eating him. Luckily I don't like watermelon, so I would have just been eating his delicious pineapple fangs :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been chosen by me to receive a lovely blog award. You can get the cute award picture from my blog.

    The rules of the award are:

    1. Accept the award, post it on your blog together with the name of the person who has granted the award, and his or her blog link.

    2. Pass the award to 15 other blogs that you’ve newly discovered.

    3. Remember to contact the bloggers to let them know they have been chosen for this award.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool watermelon!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everybody! I feel encouraged to get the knives out again!

    ReplyDelete